Due to a significant surge in volume and other delivery chain issues, carriers are experiencing Ground service delays and most have suspended delivery time guarantees for express methods. For arrival by a specific date, we urge you to choose the earliest possible Requested Ship Date and an expedited or express ship method to allow for possible delays.
San Francisco Wine Trading Company Ships On Weekdays (Mon-Fri)
We do not ship orders on Saturday, Sunday, observed holidays or carrier holidays including the day after Thanksgiving. See below for our operational closures in 2024.
Ship Method Delivery Times Are Business Days (Mon-Fri)
For example a "3-Day" ship method will arrive on the 3rd business day after it ships, not in 3 calendar days. Your shipment will not be delivered on a Saturday, Sunday, or a carrier holiday.
Cut-Off Time for Same Day Shipping
For wines listed as "in stock" or "in store", cut-off time is 3pm PT M-F for most ship methods. Some ship methods may require additional lead time.
Wines Listed as "Pre-Arrival"
Please check your order contents carefully - any wines in your cart or our web catalog listed as "pre-arrival" are not yet in stock at San Francisco Wine Trading Company and not available for immediate shipping. Please review our Pre-Arrival Sales policy for complete information.
If you have any questions about shipping, please contact your Fine Wine & Spirits Specialist or email our Customer Service Team and we'll be happy to assist!
Operational Closures in 2024
Please note, San Francisco Wine Trading Company does not ship on weekends or observed holidays.
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day: Monday, 1/15
- Presidents Day: Monday, 2/19
- Memorial Day: Monday, 5/27
- Independence Day: Tuesday, 7/4
- Labor Day: Monday, 9/2
- Thanksgiving Day: Thursday, 11/28
- Christmas Day: Monday, 12/25
- New Year's Day: Monday 1/1 (2025)
- In the U.S., direct shipment of wine is controlled at the state level. Laws vary from state to state and change frequently. Please call us at 415-731-6222 if you have any questions about shipping to your state.
- An adult 21 years or older must be present to receive and sign for delivery of alcoholic beverages. Carriers will not leave packages without an adult signature under any circumstance.
- We ship to business and residential addresses via common carriers such as FedEx and UPS, and local overnight carriers such as GSO.
- Orders to Alaska or Hawaii ship by 2nd Day Air.
- We cannot ship to PO, APO, or FPO box offices.
- Please be aware of the delivery information provided in your shipment confirmation email. The shipment date and destination address cannot be changed once shipment is confirmed. Restocking fees may apply for returned shipments. See below.
- San Francisco Wine Trading Company is not responsible for damage to wine, including leakage or damaged corks, resulting from heat or extreme temperatures during shipment. Please read our Shipping Weather Advisory for info.
- Shipments are not automatically insured against carrier-related damage, theft, or loss once the shipment has left our facility. See Shipping Insurance below for a cost-effective way to protect your investment during transit.
Packages Returned by the Carrier
Please be aware of the delivery information provided in your shipment confirmation email. Wines returned to us by the carrier for any reason beyond our control will be subject to a 15% restocking fee. Shipping costs (both original and return) will also be deducted from your refund. Reasons may include but are not limited to:
- Incorrect or insufficient address provided by the customer.
- Refusal by the recipient.
- Recipient was not available when delivery was attempted.
- Recipient fails to pick-up at a carrier-designated facility following attempts to deliver.
- An adult of at least 21 years was not available to sign for and receive the delivery.
- We ship regularly to many international destinations, including Japan, China, Taiwan, Singapore, and more. We do not ship to Canada.
- Shipping costs and timeframes for international orders will be quoted by email. Please email our Customer Service Team or call us at +1 415.731.6222 for information.
- All sales made to destinations outside the United States are final upon shipment. Absolutely no refunds or returns can be made once the shipment leaves our warehouse.
- Product will leave our warehouse in the condition described at the time of sale. Customer takes all responsibility for damage or loss during shipment.
Important: Shipping Weather Advisory
- Shipping during periods of heat or extreme cold is at your own risk. San Francisco Wine Trading Company is not responsible for damage to wine, including leakage or damaged corks, resulting from heat or extreme temperatures during shipment. Use the weather in your area as a guide when making shipping arrangements.
- We reserve the right to hold shipment of your wine during extreme weather conditions, or for carrier service disruptions due to inclement weather.
- San Francisco Wine Trading Company is not responsible for wine damaged by a shipper or inappropriate storage/handling on the part of the shipper. We therefore recommend that you purchase optional shipping insurance to protect your wine investment.
- Shipping insurance is additional coverage that may reimburse, or replace when available, items that are lost, stolen, or damaged in transit.
- Insurance is 1% of the total value of items ordered at the time your order is placed, exclusive of taxes, shipping, or other fees.
- Please note: Shipping insurance does not cover temperature-related damage. If you are concerned about weather affecting your shipment, please consider upgrading your delivery service to Next Day, or purchase insulated cold pack wine shippers.
Ask your Wine & Spirits Specialist about adding shipping insurance to your order, or select it on the Shipping page during checkout.